Health Canada Alerts Parents and Caregivers to the Dangers of Swallowing Small Magnetic Parts from Mega Brands Magnetix Magnetic Building Sets 
Health Canada is alerting the public to the danger to children of all ages posed by toys with small, powerful magnets or certain toys with small powerful magnetic parts. When more than one powerful magnet is swallowed in a short period of time, the magnets can attract one another while moving through the intestines. ...The results of swallowing small powerful magnets can be very serious and life-threatening. Swallowing incidents have often resulted in considerable damage to the gastrointestinal tissues and required emergency surgical treatment. For survivors, there can be serious lifelong health problems.

Health Canada recently received an incident report involving a three year old child who swallowed two magnetic parts (2.7 cm long rods) from a Mega Brands Magnetix Magnetic Building Set. The child received swift medical attention and sustained no injury.

 




Small, powerful magnets can be dangerous to children of all ages. Children can swallow these magnets and be seriously injured. Injuries can lead to emergency surgery, lifelong health problems, and even death. 


Health risks

Swallowing magnets can have serious and sometimes fatal consequences. If a child swallows more than one powerful magnet in a short period of time, the magnets can attract one another while moving through the intestines. This can cause the intestines to twist, creating blockages or tearing of the intestinal walls.

Magnet safety tips

Following these safety tips can help prevent a serious injury involving magnets:


  • Keep novelty magnet sets for adults out of the reach of children.
  • Do not allow children to play with small toys or other small items that contain powerful magnets.
  • Check your children's toys for wear and tear. Throw away any toys with magnets that have come loose.
  • Teach children of all ages that magnets and items containing magnets should never be placed in their mouth or nose.
  • Seek immediate medical attention for any child who has swallowed (or is suspected of having swallowed) one or more magnets. You should also report any injuries or safety concerns.
  • Read and follow the age recommendations, warnings, safety messages, and assembly instructions for products.

Please visit: Health Canada.


Click to go to healthycanadians.gc.ca 
Success is a journey, not a destination.
© 2017 Teen Parent Centre. All rights reserved | Frozen Pixels Design