Each year dozens of children in Canada visit emergency rooms after unintentionally ingesting button-type batteries. These small, coin shaped batteries power many common household items and children’s toys. Although button batteries in toys are usually locked in place, they can be found in unsecured places like remote controls, flashing jewellery, small electronic devices and novelty items. 

Button batteries contain harmful substances like acids and heavy metals that can cause serious internal chemical burns or poisoning if ingested. The first photo is a real X-ray of a child who has swallowed a button battery. The other photos simulate what could happen to a child’s body after the battery is ingested.
real X-ray of a child who has swallowed a button battery
After 3 hoursAfter 21 hoursAfter 21 hours, between slices
Success is a journey, not a destination.
© 2018 Teen Parent Centre. All rights reserved | Frozen Pixels Design